My deadlines are looming in the near future and I'm currently having to find a way to deal with the expected deadline stress, so I'm writing this post to share with you all the tips and tricks that I've picked up over the years that have helped me keep a cool head whilst at university. Some of them may sound silly, but they always work for me so why not give them a try!
- Tidy your workspace, and I don't just mean your desk! Personally I can feel quite overwhelmed if I have too many tabs open whilst using the internet or too many icons cluttering up my desktop home screen. I find organising things into folders not only helps me relax but also makes everything a lot easier when it comes to finding something again.
- Take breaks however best suits your working style. Sometimes I benefit best from one hour long break after working for a few hours and other days I find small breaks every half an hour more beneficial. Whichever method best for you, make sure you take breaks long enough to help you wind down but short enough that you don't get sucked into another Netflix binge.
- Lists! I really do love writing lists! At the start of the day I will write down all of the work that I have to complete, and then a second list for all of the things that I hope to achieve during the day. As I complete each thing on the list I will tick it off and feel myself getting slightly more relaxed as I work my way through the list. At the end of the day I will write a final list of all of the things that I hadn't magaged to complete that I can start working on tomorrow. Somehow things don't seem so intimidating if you can fit them onto a post it note.
- Don't leave everything until the day before your deadline. I know this one sounds obvious, and luckily I've never been once to leave my work that late but honnestly your life will be a lot easier when you just tackle whatever it is that you need to work on! And if you are procrastinating, try and figure out why that is. If you are feeling itimidated and overwhelmed with your work load there are always people you can talk to for support, from people at your school/university to friends and family.
- Get a good nights sleep. Doing an all nighter may work for some people, but I've always found that instead of worrying through the night about work getting a good nights sleep and starting fresh the next day always helps me clear my mind and produce better work. This point also includes taking naps if you need them! After working for a while I can usually feel myself get a bit sleepy, so rather than writing whilst battling with my eyelids I find that having a short power nap works wonders! If you are afraid of over sleeping just set a timer on your phone for a certain amount of time and then hopefully afterwards you will wake up with a fresh burst of energy to carry on with your work.
- Don't forget to eat! Again, this sounds silly but sometimes if I spend all day concentrating on my work I can forget to eat at appropriate times and I end up having a naughty binge on unhealthy food that probably doesn't help my productivity. So set an alarm for your meal times and make sure you drink water throughout the day.
So that's it! My little list of tips for you all. I hope they are useful and good luck with all of your deadlines!